Thursday, April 11, 2013

Marching Forward

After quite a hiatus from blogging, I am back! It feels like just the other day that I posted and at the same time a very long time ago. I have found that this disorienting conception of time is quite common for me here in this land where the subtle seasonal changes that mark the passage of time are often difficult to see. A lot has happened since my last post, but instead of cramming it all into one long word vomit, I will be posting a few more times in the coming week as more things come and go. So let's rewind to mid-March...

I headed down to Phnom Penh mid-March to attend the first meeting of the PC/Cambodia Gender and Development (GAD) committee. This kick-off meeting got all 6 members excited about our upcoming work with the PC family and our host country partners - projects focused on gender issues. We set up our mission statement and goals and created a blog to get word out about the work we will be doing in the future: http://pckhmerwidgad.blogspot.com/ Check it out to find out more!

My friend Katie approached me in December about joining with her to work on a Domestic Violence Training of Trainers (ToT) workshop. Although I offered my support, at that time it was not feasible for me because of a lack of established community support or buy-in at my site (however since then there has been expressed interest to do something similar in the future). Katie, and her husband Tim, generously offered to host me so that I could observe the training and the behind the scenes work. The 5-day workshop kicked-off after International Women's Day and was facilitated by Khmer NGO staff while Katie made sure everything went smoothly. It was great to see the project in motion and all of the hard work that Katie put in to make it happen. Although I was unable to observe the community outreach sessions that the participants led (and will be leading) post-workshop, I was lucky to be there to witness as much of this project as I did. Below are some photo from the workshop:
woman from the District Office of Women's Affairs speaking about domestic violence
Katie working behind the scenes
facilitator from World Vision Cambodia engaging participants

More on my adventures in Thailand and Khmer New Year later...

No comments:

Post a Comment