Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"soksabai dtaam plow" (happy journeys, safe travels)

The winds of change are blowing. And not just blowing in the angry black clouds and drenching afternoon showers. I am really talking about how I am coming up on the one-year mark (I will write an extensive blog post about that when it actually rolls around don’t worry) and friends around me are ending their commitments and heading home, while I am just really getting started - so much still to learn, so much still to do.

The string of “I’ll see you laters” began with my good friend from middle and high school, Jen, who ended her commitment working at KHANA in PP last Friday. She was on a one-year Luce Fellowship and after a little travel, a closing conference, and a long trip back home, Jen will arrive in NJ in mid to late July and promptly prepare to start her one-year Master’s program at the University of Chicago. Jen, a medical anthropologist (I will give you that title, you deserve it!), has been an incredible person with whom I have had the pleasure of sharing the past year. Not only is she a person outside of PC (and those relatively objective) with whom to talk and vent, but she is a near and dear long-time friend who knows me like many others do not. Throughout the year she was always just a phone call/text or 6 hour bus ride away and I was comforted knowing I always had an even-keeled, highly intelligent, highly perceptive friend with whom I could swap stories, share experiences, and get advice. Jen generously introduced me to PP (a city that I find big and intimidating), her neighborhood, neighbors, apartment and so much more.

Not all friendships last. Those that do are special. Those that move beyond the stereotypes and inside jokes of middle and high school and evolve are truly incredible. This year with Jen, together in a once foreign pace on the other side of the globe, proved the power of our friendship. I am excited for her as she takes her next step although it will be a giant step away from me, but I know that the physical space means very little after such an experience like we have had. I will miss her and expect that the times when I am in PP will lack a flair and excitement that Jen brings everywhere she goes. I know that I will try to call/text her when I think of something funny, confusing or upsetting or when I get off the bus in PP and realize the number doesn’t work anymore or chase someone down the street in PP yelling “JEN!” only to have the person turn and be just another foreigner. (Is this starting to sound like an episode of “How I Met Your Mother” or some rom-com? Maybe I should stop…) Anyway, Jen - thanks for a truly memorable year. Cheers! Joel kyo nung samnang la-ah!
Jen making a wish during her sendoff/farewell weekend in PP.

2 comments:

  1. MEGHAN I AM CRYING that was so beautiful and thoughtful! Miss you tons already! Can't wait to Skype!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you guys SO much. This made me cry, too. Jen -- safe travels and I cannot wait to see you so soon. Meg -- keep on keepin' on. I love reading your blog and hearing about your amazing, inspiring adventures.

    ReplyDelete