Sunday, July 7, 2013

Happy 4th of July! (belated that is...)

On Thursday I headed to Phnom Penh to celebrate America's 237th birthday, armed with tinsel, glow sticks, and a light up red-white-blue star necklace courtesy of care package from the lovely Cori. For two days I met up and rehearsed with the "Peace Chorus" - a group of 8 other PCVs and 2 RPCVs who were invited to sing an a capella 6-song set at the U.S. Embassy's 4th of July party. The event was held all-day Saturday. It began with an official ceremony which we kicked off with the Khmer and American national anthems (cued by the entrance of 4 Marines). The U.S. Ambassador, William E. Todd, followed with a speech about America's long history of democracy and freedom and his hope that the ties with Cambodia will remain strong. After a toast, the Guest of Honor, Deputy Minister of the Interior His Excellency Mr. Sarkay also gave a speech which mirrored Ambassador Todd's remarks. Another toast followed and then one of the Embassy staff member's (in both Khmer and English) said "Let the festivities begin!" The party was then opened to the public ($5 for Americans, $1 for Khmer) and included face painting, a circus troop, a dunk tank, American flag cupcakes that dyed your mouth, photo ops with the Marines, a Harley Davidson motorcycle and the Ambassador's car, and of course an extensive food selection including typical 4th of July barbecue food. The Peace Chorus sang twice more; the American National Anthem after the Ambassador's 2nd speech to the some 1600 people gathered, and "America the Beautiful" "You're a Grand Old Flag," Bill Wither's "Lean On Me," and Katy Perry's "Firework" later in the day. All songs were arranged by recently dubbed RPCV, Diana. The party ended with a short parade which reminded me of a small town celebration like the 2011 Gambier 4th of July parade. For more on the celebration see the Ambassador's blog: http://blogs.usembassy.gov/.

Some of the Peace Chorus at down time

This 4th of July was unlike any other that I have experienced. It was not that I was away from family - I have spent ten July 4th's at Camp Wawenock watching fireworks across Lake Sebago with my cabin-mates. Last year was the first time that I had been home for July 4th since I was 9 years old. I was able to visit with my cousins (shout-out to Kate, Nick, and Kyle!) and relatives and see a parade and fireworks. And although this year, I saw no fireworks and wasn't around family, that wasn't what was different. It was because I am in a country that gained independence from the French in 1953 -  177 years after U.S. Independence. In a country that will attempt to have a free and fair democratic election for the 5th time ever and whose people have a very different definition of democracy and freedom than I have grown to know and appreciate for myself. As the election quickly approaches the U.S. is putting pressure on the Cambodian government to ensure human rights are upheld and that the elections are free and fair. Here is one of many recent articles: http://www.irrawaddy.org/archives/39260.

World Wise Correspondence Program (http://wws.peacecorps.gov/wws/about/)

In other news, Peace Corps has a program called Coverdell World Wise Schools that connects PCVs and RPCVs with classes in the America to share their experiences and host country's with more people back home. I have been so lucky to have spent the last few months corresponding with the wonderful 4R class at Far Hills Country Day School. They have asked great questions about Cambodian culture and traditions, the weather, my work environment, the food, among other things. The hope is that this program opens up young people to the world and other people, but it is mutually beneficial. I have benefited greatly from answering the 4th graders' questions - they have given me another opportunity to process my experience further. Before FHCDS went on summer break, the 4R class sent me a package filled with arts supplies, goodies, games and other assorted things. Thank you so much 4R!! 

"Hello From New Jersey"
More photos and maybe videos later...

No comments:

Post a Comment