Tuesday, October 22, 2013

When I Was Little I Thought My Dad Was Superman...

Now I think Clark Kent has nothing on him!
Charlie's Photo
My superhero Dad.
Last December I wrote a post on landmines in Cambodia. After reading it and talking with me a bit more, my Dad decided that he wanted to help with the demining effort in my "adopted country." (Did Cambodia adopt me or did I adopt Cambodia?) He has chosen to devote the last 9 months to training for his first-ever marathon (26.2 miles or 42.16 km) to raise awareness and money for the HALO Trust Cambodia operations (the HQs is 23 km from my community). So this coming Sunday, the 27th, my Dad will get up and run the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C. while I eat dinner with my host family and the sun slowly sets and the stars come out. He is running for a better, safer tomorrow, for people in a country halfway around the world. A tomorrow that will come sooner than it seems. 

Please contribute if you can: http://www.crowdrise.com/teamhalomcm201/fundraiser/charliehenshall
He has about $2,400 to go to reach his goal. If 240 people gave $10 each, together we could make it happen.

"HALO recently celebrated its 25th anniversary and has a significant presence in Cambodia, where my daughter has spent the past 16 months (of a 27-month commitment) serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer." THANKS DAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment