Monday, August 20, 2012

Gone with the Monsoon


August 1st was supposed to mark the beginning of the rainy season, however, it wasn’t until about 4 days ago that the rains really started. I am officially doing reverse triathlon most day now; running in the mornings, biking to language class or technical sessions, and then swimming in my sweat (and the rain storms) all afternoon. Whenever there is a lapse in conversation with my host family (or really anyone) I just say “Kampuchea k’dao nas!” - which means “Cambodia is very hot!” - and then we talk about how we need rain and so does the rice (*see previous post to understand the importance of rice here). When it doesn’t rain the signs are everywhere: empty cisterns, dry fields for those not fortunate enough to have the means to irrigate, dusty roads, etc.

In other news, training is winding down, which means that a lot is being packed in to the last couple of weeks. This week is our “practicum,” so we are working in small groups with high school students to do a health outreach activity in the community. My group will be spending a day doing a trash pick-up and sorting demo while talking with local store owners and market sellers to spread the word about how to reduce, reuse, and recycle and why it is important. We came up with the topic of trash through a community needs assessment. In addition to the health center visits, focused group discussions, and household surveys that we have been doing, this community activity with the high schoolers should be a good way of connecting what we have been talking about in technical sessions all along.

No expectations going into the last weeks of training, and especially none in terms of my site placement. So much is up in the air that the best thing I can do is adapt to what is given me. If it starts to downpour I wait out the storm working on my Rubiks Cube as my family looks on. Or if I have a “jok poo-awh” (stomach ache) I take an hour nap in a hammock. It’s all about working with what you have. 

I will post again soon about my trip to an old Khmer Rouge killing field and other observations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment