Monday, August 6, 2012

One month for the history books!


The self-crafted calendar posted on the wall above my desk tells me that a month has passed since this adventure began. So what have I been up to? I am beginning to get a grasp of it myself. I will try my best to sum up what I have been doing and the incredible people I am meeting and engaging with along the way.

Back in the States, I felt like the token Peace Corps girl amongst friends and family. Here - at least when I am with the other PCTs - that identity is stripped away and I have the chance to define myself in different and multiple ways.  And yet at the same time, by all going through and experiencing the ups and downs together, the Peace Corps identity remains intact while still allowing us each to find a niche in the work we will ultimately be doing. I really enjoy the group we have. Being a big group in a medium-sized town, we often (and by often, I mean always)stand out. We end up taking restaurants by storm and overwhelming the local smoothie, fruit stands, and the only place in town with AC, the gas station by the name of Tela. “Meet up at the Tela for ice cream?” is a common question amongst the group. One of the only places in town where you can kind of get swallowed up is the market. It is open-air and despite numerous trips, navigating the place can still be a challenge. I hope to post some pictures later of the array of fruits and veggies of which I could only identify a few when I first got here. Now sraw-gaa-niek (dragonfruit) and sao-mao  (have no idea the English name) are my go-to snacks. Oh and don’t forget the fresh chilled doungs (coconuts) that I have every day. I will buy one with a straw and quickly finish the juice and ask the seller if she will take a machete to it so that I can eat the fleshy interior with the spoon that I now carry around with me in my backpack specifically for this purpose. The word for eat here is nam, as in nom nom…

Speaking of eating, a common greeting is “have you eaten rice already?” Why you might ask. All day everyday I eat rice. And so does most everyone else. Even the animals. At my house, the dogs get the leftovers (they must love me, because I never eat it all...) and the 4 pigs we have get a rice-water-corn mixture of some sort. Definitely not your Middle Ground leftovers that is for sure. The cows hang out in the rice paddies and thus eat it too. And anything can really go on the rice too - omelets, curry, veggies, meat, fish, ants and wasps. You name it, rice can take it.

In regards to training, the majority of this phase of service is about integrating, adjusting and exploring. Food and marketplaces are a great way to do cultural learning. For example, the other day I was asked to sit down with a family of four at a restaurant and was able to practice my limited Khmer and tell them about myself and ask after their health and family. My host family is also extremely helpful and patient as I struggle to tell them that I will go for a short run or won’t be home for lunch. As part of a specific training exercise, I and a few others facilitated a discussion (through translators) about water and sanitation (WASH) practices in a rural village 20Km from where we are living. Even just knowing a little Khmer and asking questions and expressing genuine interest in the community, I was able to connect with the women we met with even if only on a basic level. The experience got me excited  for when we are placed in a community and get to interact like that every day talking about health issues. It’s all about the relationship building and it is my jam. So is hiking in Kirivong (about 2 hours south of Takeo, right on the Vietnam border) and seeing Vietnam and the ocean all at once. That was our group’s weekend trip and it was beautiful and breezy. Although I can handle the heat and laying doing in the middle of the day under my mosquito net and drench my sheets in sweat despite not moving an inch, I do miss a good breeze, rolling hills, and stunning vistas from elevation. Anyway, I will post pictures from that excursions and others when my internet connection is better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment