Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mid-Service Musings

Writing has always been an outlet of sorts for me. A way to process, a therapy, a form of expression. I journal A LOT. My family sent me a new journal for Christmas (which arrived in mid January thanks to the delays of the international postal system) because I had filled up the one that I had brought to Cambodia within the first 4 months. This one is special because it has a page for each day, with a big heading at the top. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am a bit compulsive which translates in this situation to having the need to fill every page and thus the compulsion to write and document everyday. When I first got the journal I was already behind and I had to think hard to back track and remember. When I returned to site after having battled Dengue in July I had to fill in the gaps despite having done little during those 2 weeks in bed. And now? I am a month behind. Why? Because of so many things and none of which have to do with a lack of time nor emotions nor excitement. Instead, I have started documenting the memories and moments in different ways - like at least a photo-a-day, emails to loved ones, phone calls to fellow PCVs, etc. But most importantly my need for an outlet for processing emotions alone is seemingly less essential to my happiness here. I feel centered and able and willing to question issues I see and difficulties I encounter with the people around me - not only with other PCVs and staff, but with my host family, and people in my community. My relationships are developing further and my conversations have deepen. I feel connected and supported. I have hit what our Country Director describes as the sweetspot (my Khmer translation kon layng p'ime).

And just about when everyone told me I would. It is now past the 1-year mark. I arrived at my site on September 10, 2012. I have less than a year until my Close of Service (COS). There is still a lot to learn and do before I will be prepared to leave my new home behind (if you can every really leave something like that "behind"). One way that Peace Corps marks points of service is with trainings. Last week I found myself traveling down to Phnom Penh unsure of what was going to really be in store for our mid-service training (MST).

The barbwire police barricade removed Tuesday near the office.
The 50 remaining volunteers in my cohort (K6) - we started out with 58 - converged on a nice hotel last Sunday and had a packed 3 1/2 day schedule of professional development held at the Peace Corps office. Actually the first day was held at the hotel because of protests (remember all those posts about the elections?) from the opposition party, the CNRP, throughout the city. That is a whole nother post...

Incredible panel talking about diversity in Cambodia
So what happened during MST? We had sessions on administrative procedures, Khmer history and Post-conflict legacies, diversity in Cambodia, safety and security, engaging counterparts, resources of students, technical language, activities for the classroom, health curricula, democracy and governance in Cambodia, core expectations, motivations of service, secondary projects, foreign service and post PC opportunities, and grant writing.

Motivations of Service with our DPT, Alissa
A tough session with our fearless PCVL, Sean
language lessons with our LCC, Borin
Foreign Service and other post-PC opportunities led by our DMO, Erin
Small group lunch with our PM, An Thy

There were opportunities to meet individually and in small groups with staff members and an open space for sharing successes and challenges. And to top it all off we had a boat cruise on the Mekong with the staff. I got to meet new faces and reconnect with "old" friends (did I really just meet them last year???).

Hanging out in the lounge between sessions




We each brought something unique to the MST; new perspectives and experiences. I was reminded that I am lucky to be in the field; that it is not about putting up big numbers, but about the dignity of people and the process; to give all of myself - everything that I can at this point in time; and that everyone has a story.



I know that this next year is going to fly by. MST seemed like something in the future and now it is a thing of the past. I understand why Peace Corps service is a 2 year commitment, because a year just isn't enough. I am so grateful for the time that I have had here thus far and firmly believe that this next year will bring with it so much more than I can even anticipate.
Getting by with a little help from my friend, Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment