Sunday, September 15, 2013

New Kids On The Block

Last weekend forty-six more people joined the ranks of the PCVs in Cambodia. A prestigious club for sure. I was not in attendance for their swear-in, but the ceremony was televised and broadcast across the country.

One of the reasons I did not head to PP for the ceremony was because of political demonstrations/rallies  by the opposition party, CNRP. That weekend the National Election Committee announced that the official election results were the exact same as the original preliminary count on July 28th. This was not what the opposition nor the NGOs claiming that the election was not free and fair, wanted to hear. As a result a string of events have followed - meetings with the King and party leaders, a small explosion near the National Assembly, tear gas and riot police for the 20,000 strong demonstration, and currently a 3-day planned protest that has already seen conflict arise. The National Assembly is supposed to reconvene on Sept. 23rd. We shall see what actually happens.

Back to talking about the K7s (new PCVs)... I HAVE A SITE-MATE! Her name is Emily and she is a English Teacher (ETTT). This past week I have spent some time getting to know her and showing her around, although she would be a superstar without me. She is living a block or so down the road at the head midwife's house. Although school doesn't really start until after Pchum Ben (Khmer festival in early October), Emily has already dived right in and started tutoring people around the community in English. I am excited to be sharing my community with her and collaborating on projects with her in the future.
site-mate goofing-around session :)
In addition to Emily, new-comers Joel (CHE), Rachel (ETTT), and Jeff (ETTT) are now officially Siem Reapers. I have visited Joel and Rachel who live about an hour bike ride in opposite directions from me and I hope to make my way to Jeff soon. Here is a photo from my visit to Joel's. 
Joel with his home decorating (courtesy of host family)
And now I am in PP (despite the protests) for our mid-service training. I biked from site to Siem Reap - a muddy and wet adventure! - and then bused down to PP. Four days of MST here we come!
monsoon season doesn't stop me from biking all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment